Manage episode 293300403 series 2666548
Hey! This week I got an email from a student which made me stop in her tracks. She had send her essay to a teacher who had given her a score of 7.5 and she wanted to know if this was correct. Usually, I don't like to get involved with other teachers' marking, but out of curiosity I had a look at the essay and the "marking". What I saw shocked me.
So, in today's episode Nick and I go through that essay together to discuss what score we would have awarded it for each of the 4 marking critieria. In the process, we discuss the basics of banding IELTS essays and teach you how to apply each of the bands yourself. This is not a definite guide to the band descriptors, but an interactive lesson that will show you the band descriptors in action.
You can read more about today's episodes at: https://blog.myieltsclassroom.com/how-to-band-ielts-essays/
In this episode, we will
- explain what makes the band descriptors so brilliant
- discuss should attempt to use the band descriptors
- band an essay together using the 4 marking criteria
- Download my free ebook "An ex-examiner's guide to the Band IELTS Descriptors": https://mailchi.mp/myieltsclassroom/examiner-guide-to-ielts-band-descriptors
- Learn more about brainstorming ideas http://blog.myieltsclassroom.com/how-can-you-think-of-ideas-for-your-ielts-essay/
Rate and review My IELTS Classroom
If you are on Apple Podcasts, help us to help more people just like you by rating and reviewing our show. Reviews let other students - just like you - find our information-packed episodes and start their IELTS journey in the best possible way.
Remember, My IELTS Classroom offers a range of IELTS services:
- IELTS Video courses: https://www.myieltsclassroom.com/pages/writing
- IELTS Essay Corrections: https://www.myieltsclassroom.com/pages/marking
- IELTS Speaking lessons: https://www.myieltsclassroom.com/pages/speaking
- Free blog lessons: http://blog.myieltsclassroom.com
- Free Podcast episodes: https://myieltsclassroom.buzzsprout.com