Destination Earth: Creating the Planet's Digital Twin
Manage episode 343138156 series 3006322
Destination Earth is a high precision digital model of the Earth.
It is the EU’s flagship initiative to create a digital replica of our entire planet. "This replica is a Digital Twin in fact. It’s a gigantic task, that requires the world’s biggest computing to create the most precise data to tackle climate change.” That’s how Dr. Peter Bauer describes this 7 billion Euro project which he heads.
It's part of the EU’s Green Deal to tackle climate change and it is meant to provide pinpoint evidence-based support to enable Member States to implement the green transformation. Destination Earth aims to provide the complex software and hardware environment needed for the next generation of very high-resolution prediction models. By 2030, a full digital replica of Earth and all its resources is expected to have been achieved.
DestinE Actors: The EU Commission leads in coordination with Member States and Associated Countries and with the European Space Agency, the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites.
Peter Bauer talks about:
- How Destination Earth can help the planet to heal - first digitally, then in reality
- How to improve our understanding of climate change and enable solutions at global, regional and local level
- How to predict where to live safely for the next five decades
- How to provide pinpoint evidence-based support to implement the Green Transformation
- What Destination Earth has in common with the Metaverse
- This immense multi-stakeholder approach
- Obstacles and finances including the impact of the energy crisis
- The search for excellent talent